When Are Birds a Problem?
Different birds cause different behaviors, which is why the situations that cause each one to be problematic are unique to each species. Pigeons are one of the most common calls we receive for our bird wildlife control services in Atlanta and the surrounding areas. These birds tend to leave the most droppings and be aggressive in their desire for food and shelter.
While there are some pests that are excellent at hiding and tend to cause damage in secret, pigeons – along with most other birds – are more apparent, with signs and symptoms of bird invasions that include:
- Droppings – White-brown in color, and usually relatively firm.
- Large Groups of Birds – Pigeons are very adaptive so their flocks tend to be pretty large, especially when they’ve found a good place roost and nest.
- Increase in Debris Around Building – Pigeons make nests out of twigs, leaves, even garbage, and their construction process isn’t very tidy.
For the property owner, birds like pigeons are a problem when they invade in large groups, steal food, leave droppings, steal trash, or disrupt the customer experience. Birds of all kinds tend to live and visit where they are most comfortable, so if they find what they need near your property they are very likely to come back for more.
Why Birds like Pigeons Can Be Dangerous
Pigeons are infamous for the large flocks they stay in and the sizeable messes of debris and feces they often leave behind after spending any time in one area. Pigeon feces is acidic, degrading a structure’s appearance and material. High amounts of it in a busy area can be a slipping hazard for those on foot.
There are less visible threats that pigeon feces contains too, including a number of transmittable diseases that include:
- Toxoplasmosis, and more
The birds themselves can also spread parasites like mites, lice, and fleas, which if infected can spread diseases themselves, like Lyme’s disease. Other birds in Atlanta may also build nests on properties, or make loud noises at all hours of the day. With so many different types of birds, there are many different experiences that property owners may face.
How We Solve Bird Problems
Prevention is the humane way to address a bird problem. We do not believe that killing birds is ethical or necessary, and trapping/releasing birds elsewhere is often ineffective on its own because birds know how to return to their preferred environment. Instead, we use humane methods to make your building inhospitable to birds, such as:
- Exclusion Device Installments – Bird netting and spikes serve as physical barriers.
- Structural Modification – Angling ledges and other
- flat surfaces make it hard for birds to stand and nest on a building.
- Repellents – Non-toxic pastes, gels, and liquids make landing on your building unappealing to the birds.
Depending on how your building is built and the nature of your bird problem, we’re able to implement these strategies to get the birds to leave on their own. Call us at 470-336-4315 for bird control in Atlanta, Roswell, Sandy Springs, and more. We’re also available for 24 hour emergency bird removals if needed.